Things are Getting Hairy!
During puberty, your body will grow hair in places you expect and in some places you might not expect! This page provides the facts.
Where will my hair grow during puberty?
- Here are some places where girls and boys may both get more hair:
- Around the genitals
- In a line under the belly button
- Around the nipples
- Boys may also grow hair in some other places
Is pubic hair different from other hair?
- Your pubic hair may be darker, thicker and curlier than the hair on the rest of your body.
- Your pubic hair falls out and re-grows just like the hair on your head, but unlike the hair on your head, it will stop growing when it reaches a certain length.
Should I trim or shave my pubic hair, beard, arm pit hair, or leg hair?
- Trimming or shaving is a personal choice.
- Some think shaving their pubic hair enhances their sexual pleasure or they like the way they look.
- Others just do it so the pubic hairs don’t pop out around the sides of their bathing suit, shorts or underwear.
- It may seem like lots of girls shave their legs and underarm hair, but it is a personal choice and some girls choose not to.
How do I remove my pubic hair?
- You can shave your pubic hair, but make sure to do this safely. Use soap or shaving cream and take care when using a razor near your genitals.
- You can have your pubic hair waxed at a salon.
- It is not a good idea to try to pluck your pubic hair because this might cause an infection.