I think I like you: Getting to Know Someone
Is there someone in your life you would like to get to know better? Are you nervous about taking the first step because you think they might not feel the same way?
There are lots of ways to show you are interested in someone even if you don’t feel like coming right out and saying so. Try to be positive. Stay confident and keep in mind of all the things you like about yourself. Remember that everyone gets rejected sometimes and even though that might hurt, it can still be worth putting yourself out there.
How to break the ice
- Be yourself. That way it will be easier to find out if you share the same views.
- Speak up! If you are nervous about talking one-on-one, try talking to them when you are with other people.
- Keep it simple. Do small things like smile at them or agree with what they say (but only if you really do agree!)
- Approach them first as a friend. Find out what they are into and explore your shared interests.
- Ask them to join you. Go to an event or study together.
- Talk! Send them an instant message, text, or talk to them on the phone. If possible, try to talk to them in person as well as online.
Things to Avoid
- Don’t be disrespectful or rude.
- Don’t come on too strong, overdo it with contact or insist they spend time with you.
- Don’t try to force them to like you. If they are not interested, let it go.
Talking to a person you are interested in can be nerve-wracking, but it will get easier with practice.
The most important thing of all is to just be yourself!