Did you know that 9 out of 10 people in the world kiss? Kissing is the most common way to express affection. We may kiss our parents, our siblings, our friends, or other people in our lives. And then there are the kisses that happen between romantic or sexual partners.
Some of us look forward to our first romantic kiss and may remember it for the rest of our lives. But kissing isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay too.
How do I kiss someone on the mouth in a romantic way?
Everyone kisses a little bit differently and there are lots of good online articles and videos about how to kiss. Here are the basics:
- Lean towards the person, remembering to tilt your head to the side a bit until you make contact with your partner’s lips.
- Pucker your lips so they are soft and relaxed, but not too floppy. They can be fully formed and firm, but certainly not hard.
- Make contact with your partner’s lips. If this is your first kiss together, you may not want to stay too long, but don’t just peck them and retreat.
- Hold the kiss for a few seconds before relaxing the pucker in your lips and then start to pull your head back. You can hold the kiss like this for longer
- Remember to breathe normally through your nose as you kiss.
- To end the kiss, start by easing the pressure a bit and relax your puckered lips.
- As your lips relax they will separate and a small amount of air will be sucked into your mouth. This will create the kissing noise, or “smack” that is identified with a kiss.
What is a French kiss?
- French kissing is also known as kissing with tongue. It is when you kiss someone on the lips and you also use your tongue to touch their tongue or put your tongue into each other’s mouth.
- French kissing is may not be a good idea on the first kiss but it can be fun and healthy when things heat up.
Will kissing expose me to any STIs?
- Not really. You can’t get HIV, chlamydia or syphilis from kissing, but you can get cold sores from kissing which are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (also known as HSV-1)
- Use a dental dam when kissing someone’s body where they have or might have an STI. For more information on dental dams, check out our info page [Link].
- For more information on STIs and how to protect yourself check out the section on STIs.
Can pregnancy happen from kissing?
- No, you cannot get pregnant from just kissing someone. Pregnancy can only occur if sperm is ejaculated in or near the vagina.
- For more on how pregnancy happens, check out How Pregnancy Happens.