Sex toys can be a fun way part of your sex life! They can be used when you’re alone or when you’re with a partner. If you use sex toys, the key thing to remember is to keep them clean.
Who uses sex toys?
- Sex toys can be used no matter what your gender or sexual identity is.
- People use sex toys when they are single and/or when they are in relationships.
- People use sex toys on their own and/or with their partner.
What kinds of sex toys are there?
- Sex toys include: vibrators, dildos, anal toys (including anal* beads), strap-on penises*, fleshlights and more! There are so many different kinds of sex toys that we can’t describe them all here! For more info, visit a sex shop or check online. Many sex shops have friendly staff who will be happy to answer all your questions!
What should I look for in a sex toy?
- A safe sex toy should be smooth, unbreakable, clean, comfortable in size and have a flared base so that it can be gripped and removed easily.
- Avoid objects with small holes or jagged edges that can scratch or hurt you.
Will sex toys expose me to STIs?
- If you’re sharing sex toys with others, you could be exposed to STIs.
- Use a fresh condom each time a toy is used and always clean and disinfect your sex toys, especially if they have been placed in the anus (butt hole).
How can I clean my sex toy?
- Always keep your toys clean, especially after they have been exposed to someone else’s blood, semen, vaginal* fluids, etc. This helps to avoid spreading STIs.
- Most toys can be cleaned with soap and warm water. Some can even go in the dishwasher.
- To be sure, check the directions that came with your specific toy.
Can pregnancy happen from sex toys?
- If the sex toy comes into contact with semen and then goes near or in the vagina soon after, there is a slight risk that sperm would be transferred and pregnancy might occur.
- For more on how pregnancy happens, check out How Pregnancy Happens [Link].
*We know that these aren’t the words everyone uses for their bodies (eg. trans folks), and support you using the language that feels best for you.