The Puberty Timeline
Basic information about when puberty usually starts and ends.
Everyone travels through puberty at their own unique speed. You may feel like you’re the only person your age who hasn’t developed breasts or whose voice hasn’t changed, but you’re not alone. With time, you and your classmates and friends will all become adults and you will all have gone through puberty and come out the other side.
Until then, it can be hard not knowing when your body will change. Learning more about the timing of puberty can help you prepare.
Remember that everyone experiences puberty differently. If possible, try not to compare yourself to others.
When will I start puberty?
- Most people start going through puberty when they are between 10 and 14 years old, but this isn’t the case for everyone. It’s perfectly normal to start puberty under 10 or over 14.
- Most girls start puberty when they are between 8 and 13 years old.
- Most boys start puberty when they are between 10 and 15 years old.
- If you have a disability, you might find puberty begins earlier or later for you than it does for others.
How long will puberty last?
- When you start puberty does not predict how long it will take or how your body will develop.
- Even if you started getting taller before others in your class, you may not be the tallest when it’s time to graduate high school.
- Many girls finish puberty when they are in their late teens.
- Many boys will finish puberty in their early twenties.
What can girls expect?
- The first thing that happens to most girls is that they begin to develop breasts. At some point after they will get their first period. For more on breast development check out Breasts 101. For more on periods check out Period basics.
What can boys expect?
- The first thing boys may notice is that they have their first ejaculation, often while sleeping or masturbating. For more on ejaculation and wet dreams, check out Ejaculation and wet dreams
- Boy’s voices will also begin to crack and get lower. For more information on voice changes check out Male puberty 101
Tags:    boys, female, girls, male, puberty, timing